Wednesday, September 21, 2011

And we're back!

Okay. So I know this was meant to be a food blog. But you see, I face a couple of primary difficulties in the consistent and constant maintenance of a proper food blog.

1. I don't eat out at new places that often.
2. I always forget to take pictures when I actually do.

So, yes, I realise that as a food blogger, I'm about as useful as an igloo in a desert. But then, I thought, "Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a food blog..."

And then I thought, "But you don't really want it to be a personal blog."

And then I thought, "Well, you could put up thoughts and observations on a variety of topics."

"Not politics though. Or anything very serious."

"Well, Economics could be serious. Would you want to update often though?"

"Okay, Economics from a pop culture or geek perspective maybe? Well, you don't want to leave it on hiatus for an extended period of time."

"Thought 7"

"Thought 8"

"Thought 9"

.
.
.
.
.

"Thought 22"

"Aha! I'll make it a blog with observations on one or more of food, music, movies and economics, updated whenever I feel like it."

Bingo. So there you have it. The updated theme of this blog. I'm too lazy to change the other settings and all that sort of thing so that'll stay. Otherwise, let's roll.

Maybe I should start from the beginning - the reason for the sudden inspiration to blog. Well, it's essentially, this:-



Yes! The new Blink 182 album, due out in a week's time! For those of you who don't know, Blink 182 has always been and is my favourite band. Ever. It's the only band whose every song I have heard, including the demos and stuff. They've been in my life from puberty to (young) adulthood. They are the Hobbes to my Calvin.

Anyway, in line with the release of their new album, I decided to compile a list of my 10 favourite lyrics from Blink 182 songs of all time. Of course, I could've done 5, but if you know me, when have I ever avoided the opportunity to talk more than necessary?

Before I launch into it, here are a couple of lyrics from a sneak preview of the album to which I have taken a natural affinity:-

From "Up All Night"
"Everyone works and fights stays up all night to celebrate the day.
And everyone lives to tell the tale of how we die alone some day."

and

From "Snake Charmer"
"That's how it was to all begin
Cause good girls who like to sin
Way back at the starting line
Where Eve was on Adam's mind
And he was the first to go
In search of the great unknown
And falling yet again
Cause good girls, they like to sin."

I just find these lyrics really cool. I haven't had enough time yet to have an experience such that I would seek refuge in these songs, so I can't say how they resonate with me. But I think they're highest on the 'potential' list.

Okay, now. The real deal. And yes, of course I ranked them.

10. Blink 182 - Stay Together for the Kids

Their anger hurts my ears
Been burning strong for seven years
Rather than fix the problems, they never solve them
It makes no sense at all
I see them every day
We get along so why can’t they
If this is what he wants and it’s what she wants, then why’s there so much pain

----

Wow. Some strong stuff, huh? That last bit particularly gets me. I really think one of the coolest things about Blink 182 is their ability to say, in the least metaphorical way possible, exactly what people think or feel. Take for example, the next entry...

9. Blink 182 - 21 Days

My mind wanders as I’m trying not to fall in love with you
Cos every time I’m awake I ponder on my mistakes of what I’ve said
It is always my esteem that I sure lose
Playing those stupid games as I always end up chasing you

---

It's beautiful. Granted, this was written maybe 18 years or so ago, so it's very teenage-puppy love-ish. But I think it's sweet. Very simple. And so goddamn true. For me, "those stupid games" = Minesweeper, Solitaire, Freecell. And for a serial overthinker like me (see the thought process above), I do ponder on my mistakes of what I've said.

8. Blink 182 - Feeling This/Action

Fate fell short this time
Your smile fades in the summer
Place your hand in mind
I’ll leave when I wanna

---

Erm. I find myself singing this to myself a lot. Moving on.

7. Blink 182 - Lemmings

Laughing at the bands we hate, all the spots we used to skate
Well, they're still there but we've gone our own ways
I know it's for the best but sometimes I wonder will I ever have friends like this again?

---

Well, I once said the last line about a friend back in Form 4. And maybe that time was an exaggeration. But y'know, the older I get, the more I wonder if I will ever have friends like those from secondary school again (not that I don't hang out with secondary school friends). In Stand By Me, the lead character says, "I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12. Jesus, does anyone?" Isn't this what this lyrics say? Whatever we used to do, they didn't change. We did. And it's for the best. But well, nostalgia.

6. Blink 182 - Going Away to College

I haven't been this scared in a long time
And I'm so unprepared, so here's your valentine
Bouquet of clumsy words, a simple melody
This world's an ugly place, but you're so beautiful to me

---

Isn't this absolutely heart-melting? I think it's least corny sweet bunch of lines I've come across. AND IT'S SO TRUE. If you've never made a first move, these 4 lines illustrate how it is. To the T. I'm nervous and scared shitless. I'm completely unprepared so here, have this simple ol' thing. And well, you're beautiful. Completely nailed it.

5. Blink 182 - I'm Sorry

What a loss, you just lost all your sleep
And we’ve always thought, that this would never happen, you see
And it’s so hard, but you gotta get up on your feet
Cos the only way, I gotta say, is to move on through the week

---

When I need a kick up the butt after feeling defeated or silly about something, or if I'm just plain sad, I listen to this. And after this song, I always pull the Don Draper, "It never happened. It will shock you how much it never happened," quip. Blink 182 tells it like it is.

4. Blink 182 - I'm Sorry

Don’t bide your time, cos it is almost over
I know you’re down, I’ll see you around
And I know it hurts, but you’re just getting older
And I know you’ll win, you’ll do it once again

---

2 entries from the same song! The only song featured twice on this list. So, the previous one is when I need a kick in the ass. This one is when I need to comfort myself. Especially the last line. Like Michael Jordan and, rather unfortunately, Charlie Sheen, I love winning. I generally consider myself to be a hypercompetitive lunatic. And proud of it! Anyway, yeah, I love the winning once again bit. Always gives me strength.

3. Blink 182 - Apple Shampoo

And she said it could never survive with such differing lives
One home, one out on tour again
We may never come back
The strike of a match, the candle’s burning on both ends

---

A bit metaphorical here at the end. But this is long-distance, in a nutshell. Again, Blink 182, you rock me with your succinct and accurate lyricism. If I was half as concise as you were, this post would have ended about 1,000 words ago.

2. Blink 182 - The Party Song

Some girls try too hard to impress
With the ways that they dress
With those things on their chests
And the things they suggest

---

I tend to sing this to myself a lot. Especially when I'm out at a big social. Best part - it's completely true. Thank you Blink 182 for expressing it in a really funny way.

1. Blink 182 - Dammit

And it’s happened once again
I’ll turn to a friend
Someone that understands
Sees through the masterplan
When everybody’s gone
And I’ve been here for too long
To face this on my own
Well I guess this is growing up

---

Look, the universe is indifferent (Don Draper, Mad Men). It rains on the just and unjust alike (Sally Juspeczyk, Watchmen). So, every now and then, life is going to throw you a curve ball. And yes, it sucks. But you know what. It's going to happen again and again. And that's when you're grateful for these people called 'friends'. Those who understand and see through the master plan. And who refuse to let you face the world on your own. From the experience of a few people, I find this lyric is particularly useful for this scenario:-

Anyway, that's my top ten. If you've bothered to read, I hope you've enjoyed it. If you didn't bother, well, screw you asshole.

No comments: